Sunday, January 31, 2010

Day 30

525,600 minutes... How do you measure, measure a year? In daylights? In sunsets? In midnights? In cups of coffee? In inches? In miles? In laughter? In strife? In 525,600 minutes...

For all of you "muggles" out there, if you haven't figured it out yet, the title of my blog comes from the lyrics of one of my favorite songs in my favorite musical of all time, RENT. I have seen RENT 8 or 9 times...I've lost count...Twice on Broadway in New York and several CLO performances here in Pittsburgh, but every time I see it, I see it in a different way. It's a very alternative kind of show, but the music is stellar.

Last night (after a delicious dinner at Sonoma Grille), Katie, Tim, Kevin and I saw a smaller non-Broadway cast that performed at the Byham Theater, but it still wasn't disappointing. While we all agreed that Mimi's part was a little lackluster, the other characters were energetic and had such great voices. The character of Maureen is usually shadowed by Mimi, but I have a whole new appreciation for her.

So, eight times. Did I still cry at the part when Angel dies? Yes. Did I mouth the words to almost every song? Of course. I will never forget the first time I saw the show in the New Amsterdam Theater in Times Square when I REALLy cried when Angel dies, but RENT still reminds me how to spend those 525,600 minutes and live like there's "no day but today."

No comments:

Post a Comment